Just a quick update this week. Unfortunately on Wednesday this week I went to turn on the largest of the three kilns I have only to find that it wasn’t working.
Having identified the problem as a faulty safety switch I tried to fix it myself but haven’t really had any luck with it. I’ll potentially be having to get a replacement part so fixing it might take a little while.
I am still able to complete orders with the smaller kilns but it’ll take longer to work through the current list of outstanding orders. If your in any doubt about the status of your order just get in touch and I’ll do my best to give you an estimated completion date.
Hopefully it won’t be too long before the large kiln is back online!