Yesterday was Valentines Day, I hope you all had a great day even if it was a Monday! I always tend to think that Valentines doesn’t just have to be showing love for your partner, its a good time to show the love for the people that touch your life.
Maybe you know a licorice lover! This recipe would make a great gift for them, at its most basic its a vegan oatmeal cookie but instead of raisins or chocolate chips I used licorice instead. These cookies are quite dense and would also make great flapjack bars if you have a suitable tin to hand.
Cooking licorice gives it a real smokey taste, its a much subtler flavour which I’d imagine would go great with coffee.
1/3 cup soy milk
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 heaped cup of licorice
1. Pre heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking trays with parchment.
2. In a large bowl mix together the soy milk and flax seed with a fork until it blends together. Add the brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Whisk these together with a blender.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet – the plain flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Blend these together and you should have a paste which will bind together the oats.
4. Fold in the oats gradually and fold in the licorice.
5. Shape each cookie with your hand and place on a baking tray, flatten each one down into a disk. Once baked these cookies won’t change their shape much so you can pack quite a few on a tray together.
6. Cook in the oven until golden brown. About 10 minutes if you like them soft and 12 minutes if you like them more crunchy.
You can of course find cookie jars and dry goods storage jars like this one over in my shop!
What did you make for your Valentine this year?